chitikaLB

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Proper Usage of Relative Pronouns Which and That

Hi. This time I'll be sharing with you the proper usage of the relative pronouns which and that. Well, both which and that can be interchangeable if they introduce necessary information about the suject they are related to. Study the examples below.

The book that I borrowed from my uncle is nice.
Where is the book which is on the refrigerator?

Both pronouns in the given sentences add additional information about the subject which is really necessary. But the thing I want you to understand is that the pronouns which and that can be used to refer to specific objects. The book that I borrowed from my uncle is nice. Here you are talking about the book you borrowed and not about any other books. The same with the second sentence. You are talking about a specific book, which is placed on top of the refrigerator, and not on other places. So in this case, both pronouns can be used interchangeably if they refer to specific things.

The book that/ which I borrowed from my uncle is nice. 
Where is the book which/that is on the refrigerator?

The underlined words are important. Without them, there may not be a clear picture of the subject. In English Grammar, this is what we call restrictive clause

However, if we talk about non-restrictive clause, only which can be used. That is never considered correct in this kind of clause.

The green house, which was behind the church, is owned by Mr. Chiu.

In this case, that is not possible.








No comments:

Post a Comment